PROPER BRUSHING AND FLOSSING
Brushing and flossing are but two of the most important oral hygiene habits that everyone should not miss. These are also the habits that require proper execution or you will not be able to achieve their maximum benefits. You may have been brushing for years since you were small, but how sure are you that you have done it correctly? For many people, it is no longer important how these habits are done, so long as they are part of their daily routine, what they do not understand is that the manner of doing these can significantly affect their effectiveness in your oral health.
Maintaining a good oral hygiene involves the daily habit of brushing and flossing. You also have to be aware that there is a proper way of brushing and flossing and it is important that you know these things. Brushing should be done at least twice daily, if it is not possible to be done after every meal. Brushing should also last for 2 to 3 minutes ensure thorough cleaning. If you are in a hurry, you might also be rushing through brushing but that should not be the case. In order to make these habits effective, you have to give them ample time. After all, those are still just minutes out of your 24 hours in a day, that should not take so much of your time.
Choosing the right toothbrush
Picking the right toothbrush for you is one of the first steps to achieving good oral health. Like what the dental experts advice, you have to choose a soft bristled toothbrush so as not to damage your gums. You also have to look for the one that fits comfortably in your mouth and in your hand for better grip so that you can be more effective when it comes to its usage. Here’s what you need to remember when choosing for the right toothbrush.
- Your toothbrush bristles should be softer and not harder
- It should be easy to use, it does not matter whether it is manual or powered
- It should fit your mouth well. Buy a small one if your mouth is small and a large one if your mouth is large
Twice a day brushing is what most of the dentists would recommend, but remember that it is also important for you to know and apply the proper brushing techniques to guarantee its effectiveness. If you have been brushing for a long time, it may not necessarily mean that the proper techniques are being applied. To know whether you are brushing the right way or not, check the following tips.
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle towards your gum line.
- Move your toothbrush in an up and down motion and make sure that it gets in contact with your teeth and your gums.
- Brush the chewing surfaces of your teeth and that should include the outer and the inner surfaces
- Also do not forget to brush your tongue for a clean and fresh breath
- You should know the right type of toothbrush to use. Your dentist may recommend a soft bristled toothbrush because this type is the most effective when it comes to getting rid of plaque.
- You also have to know and pick the right toothpaste for you, because there are many toothpaste brands out there in the market, so you have to choose the one that will best address your oral health needs.
Brushing is important to achieve good oral health and so is flossing. Cleaning the spaces between your teeth may not be done by just brushing alone, which is why flossing should be part of your daily routine. Flossing can help you get rid of the food particles and the debris that get stuck in your teeth when you eat. This can help you avoid gum and periodontal disease, as well as decay and bad breath.
Here’s how you can make sure you are flossing effectively:
- Use a dental floss daily or an interdental cleaner will also do.
- Spend a few minutes of your time to floss at least once a day
- Do not be aggressive when you floss so that you do not damage your gum tissues.
For more information on how you can keep your teeth and gums healthy through proper oral home care, you can contact our dental office now.